Laptop Searches

Figured there were enough of us here farting around - will update periodically
Corbeb

Laptop Searches

Post#1 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey guys, So i'm coming back pretty soon (Jun 2nd) to swtor to seriously play for a while. However i need to get a new lap top. I've been having huge problems choosing and can't seem to find anything I like. I was wondering if any of you guys happen to know any models i overlooked that might be around these specs.

Price- 1.2k to 1.8k preferably around 1.5k

Processor- i7 3 rd gen- must
Ram- 8g (negotiable)
GPU- Pref nvidia 650m or better
hard drive- I'm pretty flex on this, i prefer some combo of a small ssd and sata 7200 rpm (Including forgoing a optical drive)

everything else is mainly irrelevant.

Dimensions- I dont care so much about weight width or length. Although id prefer a 15.6 inch. However, the closer to a 1 inch height the better .

I have yet to find the perfect comp, (prob doesnt exist) but if any of you guys know any id appreciate the heads up.

Forbin
Site Admin

Re: Laptop Searches

Post#2 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Asus had some nice higher end game stuff that fits those parameters.
Former CO, ROL
Forbin - 85 Hunter
Durendal (aka Turpin) - 80 Pali
Pandorum (Ker aka Chara) - 85 Druid
Attono - 85 Shaman

-When ya cant run anymore ya crawl...when ya cant do that....ya find someone to carry you

-If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little. ++George Carlin

Corbeb

Post#3 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Ive looked into Asus haven't found anything i'm sold on yet. However, hopefully i'll find someting soon. Gonna wait till Vizio launches its new laptop line. I like the idea of a small cap U.S based company trying to break into a highly competitive market. Should lead to some great specs at a lower price point (Crossing my fingers).

Aetrix

Post#4 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 am

Corbeb wrote:Should lead to some great specs at a lower price point (Crossing my fingers).

Should also lead to some cheap components at a lower MTBF. The last couple desktops i've put together used ASUS Sabertooth mobos with mil-spec components and 5 year warranties and they are SOLID. If their higher end laptops come anywhere near that sort of quality they'll be worth the price.
AETRIX | Guillotine | Emceepeepnts | Brundimin | Machariel | Lupuscanis

Forbin
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 pm

http://www.asusnotebook.com.au/asus-not ... gamers.php

Their website, ivy bridge and other parts of your spec are obviously there on their packages. You can downgrade and get cheaper or last years models as Best Buy carries them on floor.

That said, I've had pretty good luck with the HP laptops, save a few issues since I insist on getting the 17" widescreen which leads to stress problems on chassis. Just gotta be careful about one handed pickups from the desk etc.

I went with the "beats version" but got an I5 core, well below what you're looking for but I'm sure they've got gaming rigs.
Former CO, ROL
Forbin - 85 Hunter
Durendal (aka Turpin) - 80 Pali
Pandorum (Ker aka Chara) - 85 Druid
Attono - 85 Shaman

-When ya cant run anymore ya crawl...when ya cant do that....ya find someone to carry you

-If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little. ++George Carlin

Aetrix

Post#6 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:36 am

If I were looking for a gaming laptop today, I would almost certainly buy this:

ASUS G53SX-NH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

It's kind of big and ugly even for a 15.6" but this is the trade off for plenty of power, high screen resolution, one of the fastest mobile GPUs available today (even faster than most of the Geforce 600 line), fast hard drive, etc etc. for a damn good price.

I wonder if newegg will take my Samsung Series 7 Chronos on a trade for this?? lol

By the way, I realize this is still sandy bridge, but for gaming I don't think it's going to matter. Games are still running fine on my old Core 2 Duo for crying out loud... For reference this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834230409) is truly top end but it's also 2 grand... I've been down that road before and I definitely wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money on something that's mostlly un-upgradable and will be obsolete in a year. (In other words, BUILD A DESKTOP. It will be faster than both of these at half the price and you'll be able to reuse most of the parts when it comes time for upgrades!)
AETRIX | Guillotine | Emceepeepnts | Brundimin | Machariel | Lupuscanis

Sambucca

Post#7 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:16 am

ASUS is the way to go...Aetrix is right they are solid. My new system is the best ive seen....and I went all top shelf on it. So I can imagine their middle ground is just as good if not equal to what i got.

Return to “SW:tor”